Home

Music Business Guides

Music Theory Guides

Musical Arrangement and Analysis

Song Writing and Studio Stuff

Acoustics

Room Acoustics - The Problem

Room Acoustics - Research Room Acoustics - Solutions Room Acoustics - How it Worked Room Acoustics - Evaluation Calculation Table for Different Absorption Coefficients/Sabines
Instrument Acoustics- The Problem Instrument Acoustics -  Research Instrument Acoustics - Solutions Instrument Acoustics - Practical Designs Instrument Acoustics - How it Worked Instrument Acoustics - Evaluation

Dealing with Acoustic Room Treatment (Part 5)

Evaluation

Despite many problems I have enjoyed this project. The clap test easily identified a problem. The measuring process was successful and fun due to much teamwork. The spreadsheet made from our calculations confirmed and both quantified and extended the problem identified. Research was relatively easy thanks to the large proliferation of information available online, some quite technical but much also in laymanís terms. The making of the boxes was relatively easy despite certain difficulties (see below), helped largely by the materials being mostly cut to measure at source 

Our microphone tests were inconclusive, largely due to the quality of the speakers used and also the microphone. The building of the boxes was hampered in many cases by the backs being nailed in place before it was realised that, actually they should go on last. Trying to then glue the rockwool to the front panels in such a way that it wouldnít detach when being nailed on was very problematic. This resulted in some of the backs being removed temporarily. The placement of the boxes was not ideal for practical reasons. Some of the boxes are still not built, owing to a lack of attendance by some members of the team. Placing the boxes on the wall is proving problematic in some cases because of their positioning, often involving great heights and two ladders.

In an ideal world, better speakers and a better microphone would have improved our analysis. The boxes would have all been completed in time and the backs would not have been nailed on before the rockwool was inside. It would also be better if the Blue Screen facility was in place or at least if we knew in advance what restrictions it would place on us placement wise.

From this project I learnt about many different types of sound treatment and a simple way to make a sound absorber, which I could use in my home studio. I also learnt a number of ways to analyse the problem so as to determine what type and quantity of sound absorbers or indeed sound diffusers may be required. But mostly I learnt about the complexities involved in the creation of acoustic environment designed to suit specific purposes and that I donít want to do it for a living.

Go to top of page

Donate to new music business

Link to this site

This website copyright 2004-2009 Maddening Music except where otherwise stated.